Find Schools

Study Area & Zipcode

History at Brown University

Find Schools Near

History at Brown University

History is one of the majors in the history program at Brown University.

Here, you'll find out more about the major, including such details as the number of graduates, what degree levels are offered, ethnicity of students, average salaries, and more. Also, learn how Brown ranks among other schools offering degrees in history.

Jump to any of the following sections:

History Degrees Available at Brown

  • Bachelor’s Degree in History
  • Master’s Degree in History
  • Doctorate Degree in History

Brown History Rankings

In College Factual's most recent rankings for the best schools for history majors, Brown came in at #6. This puts it in the top 5% of the country in this field of study. It is also ranked #1 in Rhode Island.

Ranking Type Rank
Best History Colleges for Veterans 5
Best Colleges for History 6
Highest Paid History Graduates 9
Most Popular Colleges for History 50
Most Focused Colleges for History 85

Popularity of History at Brown

During the 2018-2019 academic year, Brown University handed out 87 bachelor's degrees in history. Due to this, the school was ranked #50 out of all colleges and universities that offer this degree. This is an increase of 12% over the previous year when 78 degrees were handed out.

In 2019, 16 students received their master’s degree in history from Brown. This makes it the #36 most popular school for history master’s degree candidates in the country.

In addition, 6 students received their doctoral degrees in history in 2019, making the school the #47 most popular school in the United States for this category of students.

How Much Do History Graduates from Brown Make?

Salary of History Graduates with a Bachelor's Degree

History majors who earn their bachelor's degree from Brown go on to jobs where they make a median salary of $42,900 a year. This is higher than $28,200, which is the national median for all history bachelor's degree recipients.

undefined

How Much Student Debt Do History Graduates from Brown Have?

Student Debt of History Graduates with a Bachelor's Degree

While getting their bachelor's degree at Brown, history students borrow a median amount of $12,420 in student loans. This is not too bad considering that the median debt load of all history bachelor's degree recipients across the country is $23,250.

undefined

The typical student loan payment of a bachelor's degree student from the history program at Brown is $129 per month.

History Student Diversity at Brown

Take a look at the following statistics related to the make-up of the history majors at Brown University.

Brown History Bachelor’s Program

Of the 87 students who earned a bachelor's degree in History from Brown in 2018-2019, 51% were men and 49% were women.

Brown Gender Breakdown of History Bachelor's Degree Grads

The following table and chart show the ethnic background for students who recently graduated from Brown University with a bachelor's in history.

Ethnic Diversity of History Majors at Brown University
Ethnic Background Number of Students
Asian 4
Black or African American 5
Hispanic or Latino 13
White 42
Non-Resident Aliens 10
Other Races 13

Brown History Master’s Program

The history program at Brown awarded 16 master's degrees in 2018-2019. About 75% of these degrees went to men with the other 25% going to women.

Brown Gender Breakdown of History Master's Degree Grads

The following table and chart show the ethnic background for students who recently graduated from Brown University with a master's in history.

Ethnic Diversity of History Majors at Brown University
Ethnic Background Number of Students
Asian 1
Black or African American 1
Hispanic or Latino 1
White 5
Non-Resident Aliens 5
Other Races 3

References

More about our data sources and methodologies.

Featured Schools

Find Schools Near You