Find Schools

Study Area & Zipcode

English Language & Literature at Harvard University

Find Schools Near

English Language & Literature at Harvard University

Here, you'll find out more about the major, including such details as the number of graduates, what degree levels are offered, ethnicity of students, and more. Also, learn how Harvard ranks among other schools offering degrees in English language and literature.

Jump to any of the following sections:

English Language & Literature Degrees Available at Harvard

  • Bachelor’s Degree in English Language & Literature
  • Master’s Degree in English Language & Literature
  • Doctorate Degree in English Language & Literature

Harvard English Language & Literature Rankings

In College Factual's most recent rankings for the best schools for English language and literature majors, Harvard came in at #22. This puts it in the top 5% of the country in this field of study. It is also ranked #3 in Massachusetts.

Ranking Type Rank
Best English Language & Literature Colleges for Veterans 43
Most Popular Colleges for English Language & Literature 171
Best Value Colleges for English Language & Literature 281
Most Focused Colleges for English Language & Literature 481

Popularity of English Language & Literature at Harvard

During the 2017-2018 academic year, Harvard University handed out 88 bachelor's degrees in English language and literature. Due to this, the school was ranked #171 out of all colleges and universities that offer this degree. This is an increase of 22% over the previous year when 72 degrees were handed out.

In 2018, 32 students received their master’s degree in English language and literature from Harvard. This makes it the #50 most popular school for English language and literature master’s degree candidates in the country.

In addition, 5 students received their doctoral degrees in English language and literature in 2018, making the school the #97 most popular school in the United States for this category of students.

English Language & Literature Student Diversity at Harvard

Take a look at the following statistics related to the make-up of the English language and literature majors at Harvard University.

Harvard English Language & Literature Bachelor’s Program

During the 2017-2018 academic year, 88 students graduated with a bachelor's degree in English language and literature from Harvard. About 40% were men and 60% were women.

Harvard Gender Breakdown of English Language & Literature Bachelor's Degree Grads

The majority of the students with this major are white. About 61% of 2018 graduates were in this category.

The following table and chart show the ethnic background for students who recently graduated from Harvard University with a bachelor's in English language and literature.

Ethnic Diversity of English Language & Literature Majors at Harvard University
Ethnic Background Number of Students
Asian 12
Black or African American 3
Hispanic or Latino 8
White 54
Non-Resident Aliens 6
Other Races 5

Harvard English Language & Literature Master’s Program

In the 2017-2018 academic year, 32 students earned a master's degree in English language and literature from Harvard. About 78% of these graduates were women and the other 22% were men.

Harvard Gender Breakdown of English Language & Literature Master's Degree Grads

The majority of the students with this major are white. About 72% of 2018 graduates were in this category.

The following table and chart show the ethnic background for students who recently graduated from Harvard University with a master's in English language and literature.

Ethnic Diversity of English Language & Literature Majors at Harvard University
Ethnic Background Number of Students
Asian 1
Black or African American 0
Hispanic or Latino 3
White 23
Non-Resident Aliens 1
Other Races 4

Areas of Concentration for English Language & Literature

English Language and Literature students may decide to concentrate in one of the following focus areas. Individual focus areas may not be available for all degree levels.

Concentration Annual Graduates
General English Literature 118
Writing Studies 7

Majors Similar to English Language & Literature

Related Major Annual Graduates
Visual & Performing Arts 225
Foreign Languages & Linguistics 218
Theology & Religious Vocations 140
Philosophy & Religious Studies 77
Liberal Arts / Sciences & Humanities 32

View All English Language & Literature Related Majors >

References

Find Schools Near You