Social Sciences at University of California - Irvine

Social Sciences at University of California - Irvine

We've pulled together some essential information you should know about the program, including how many students graduate each year, the ethnic diversity of these students, and more. We've also included details on how UC Irvine ranks compared to other colleges offering a major in social sciences.

Go directly to any of the following sections:

Social Sciences Degrees Available at UC Irvine

UC Irvine Social Sciences Rankings

UC Irvine was ranked #111 on College Factual's most recent list of the best schools for social sciences majors. This puts the bachelor's program at the school solidly in the top 15% of all colleges and universities in the country. It is also ranked #17 in California.

Ranking Type Rank
Most Popular Bachelor’s Degree Colleges for Social Sciences 5
Most Popular Doctor’s Degree Colleges for Social Sciences 23
Most Popular Master’s Degree Colleges for Social Sciences 43
Most Focused Doctor’s Degree Colleges for Social Sciences 48
Best Value Doctor’s Degree Colleges for Social Sciences 52
Best Social Sciences Master’s Degree Schools 52
Best Social Sciences Doctor’s Degree Schools 56
Best Social Sciences Bachelor’s Degree Schools 100
Most Focused Bachelor’s Degree Colleges for Social Sciences 119
Best Value Master’s Degree Colleges for Social Sciences 140
Most Focused Master’s Degree Colleges for Social Sciences 169
Best Value Bachelor’s Degree Colleges for Social Sciences 532

Popularity of Social Sciences at UC Irvine

During the 2019-2020 academic year, University of California - Irvine handed out 1578 bachelor's degrees in social sciences. Due to this, the school was ranked #6 in popularity out of all colleges and universities that offer this degree. This is an increase of 9% over the previous year when 1,443 degrees were handed out.

In 2020, 99 students received their master’s degree in social sciences from UC Irvine. This makes it the #39 most popular school for social sciences master’s degree candidates in the country.

In addition, 42 students received their doctoral degrees in social sciences in 2020, making the school the #27 most popular school in the United States for this category of students.

UC Irvine Social Sciences Students

Take a look at the following statistics related to the make-up of the social sciences majors at University of California - Irvine.

UC Irvine Social Sciences Bachelor’s Program

The social sciences program at UC Irvine awarded 1,578 bachelor's degrees in 2019-2020. About 38% of these degrees went to men with the other 62% going to women.

undefined

The following table and chart show the ethnic background for students who recently graduated from University of California - Irvine with a bachelor's in social sciences.

undefined
Ethnic Background Number of Students
Asian 350
Black or African American 37
Hispanic or Latino 589
White 215
Non-Resident Aliens 312
Other Races 75

UC Irvine Social Sciences Master’s Program

In the 2019-2020 academic year, 73 students earned a master's degree in social sciences from UC Irvine. About 64% of these graduates were women and the other 36% were men.

undefined

The following table and chart show the ethnic background for students who recently graduated from University of California - Irvine with a master's in social sciences.

undefined
Ethnic Background Number of Students
Asian 10
Black or African American 7
Hispanic or Latino 13
White 19
Non-Resident Aliens 15
Other Races 9

Social Sciences Majors

Social Sciences students may decide to major in one of the following focus areas. Individual majors may not be available for all degree levels.

Major Annual Graduates
Economics 469
Criminology 464
Political Science & Government 316
Sociology 259
Anthropology 85
Urban Studies 57
General Social Sciences 29
Demography & Population Studies 11
Other Social Sciences 2

Related Major Annual Graduates
Psychology 1,027
Education 533
History 88
Area, Ethnic, Culture, & Gender Studies 64
Communication & Journalism 36

View All Social Sciences Related Majors >

References

More about our data sources and methodologies.

Find Schools Near You