Find Schools

Study Area & Zipcode

Foreign Languages & Linguistics at University of Illinois at Chicago

Find Schools Near

Foreign Languages & Linguistics at University of Illinois at Chicago

We've pulled together some essential information you should know about the program, including how many students graduate each year, the ethnic diversity of these students, and more. In addition, we cover how UIC ranks in comparison to other schools with foreign languages and linguistics programs.

Jump to any of the following sections:

Foreign Languages & Linguistics Degrees Available at UIC

  • Bachelor’s Degree in Foreign Languages & Linguistics
  • Master’s Degree in Foreign Languages & Linguistics
  • Doctorate Degree in Foreign Languages & Linguistics

UIC Foreign Languages & Linguistics Rankings

The bachelor's program at UIC was ranked #186 on College Factual's Best Schools for foreign languages and linguistics list. It is also ranked #9 in Illinois.

Ranking Type Rank
Best Value Colleges for Foreign Languages & Linguistics 179

Popularity of Foreign Languages & Linguistics at UIC

During the 2017-2018 academic year, University of Illinois at Chicago handed out 51 bachelor's degrees in foreign languages and linguistics. Due to this, the school was ranked #176 out of all colleges and universities that offer this degree. This is an increase of 24% over the previous year when 41 degrees were handed out.

In 2018, 24 students received their master’s degree in foreign languages and linguistics from UIC. This makes it the #41 most popular school for foreign languages and linguistics master’s degree candidates in the country.

In addition, 2 students received their doctoral degrees in foreign languages and linguistics in 2018, making the school the #92 most popular school in the United States for this category of students.

UIC Foreign Languages & Linguistics Students

Take a look at the following statistics related to the make-up of the foreign languages and linguistics majors at University of Illinois at Chicago.

UIC Foreign Languages & Linguistics Bachelor’s Program

Of the 51 foreign languages and linguistics students who graduated with a bachelor's degree in 2017-2018 from UIC, about 27% were men and 73% were women.

UIC Gender Breakdown of Foreign Languages & Linguistics Bachelor's Degree Grads

The majority of the bachelor's degree graduates for this major are Hispanic or Latino. In the most recent graduating class for which data is available, 61% of grads fell into this category.

The following table and chart show the ethnic background for students who recently graduated from University of Illinois at Chicago with a bachelor's in foreign languages and linguistics.

Ethnic Diversity of Foreign Languages & Linguistics Majors at University of Illinois at Chicago
Ethnic Background Number of Students
Asian 3
Black or African American 2
Hispanic or Latino 31
White 13
Non-Resident Aliens 1
Other Races 1

UIC Foreign Languages & Linguistics Master’s Program

The foreign languages and linguistics program at UIC awarded 24 master's degrees in 2017-2018. About 29% of these degrees went to men with the other 71% going to women.

UIC Gender Breakdown of Foreign Languages & Linguistics Master's Degree Grads

The following table and chart show the ethnic background for students who recently graduated from University of Illinois at Chicago with a master's in foreign languages and linguistics.

Ethnic Diversity of Foreign Languages & Linguistics Majors at University of Illinois at Chicago
Ethnic Background Number of Students
Asian 2
Black or African American 3
Hispanic or Latino 3
White 11
Non-Resident Aliens 5
Other Races 0

Areas of Concentration for Foreign Languages & Linguistics

Foreign Languages and Linguistics students may decide to concentrate in one of the following focus areas. Individual focus areas may not be available for all degree levels.

Concentration Annual Graduates
Romance Languages 61
Linguistics & Comparative Literature 11
Slavic, Baltic & Albanian Languages 5

Majors Similar to Foreign Languages & Linguistics

Related Major Annual Graduates
Visual & Performing Arts 151
English Language & Literature 124
Philosophy & Religious Studies 12

View All Foreign Languages & Linguistics Related Majors >

References

Featured Schools

Find Schools Near You