Find Schools

Study Area & Zipcode

Foreign Languages & Linguistics at Georgetown University

Find Schools Near

Foreign Languages & Linguistics at Georgetown University

We've gathered data and other essential information about the program, such as the ethnicity of students, how many students graduated in recent times, and more. We've also included details on how Georgetown ranks compared to other colleges offering a major in foreign languages and linguistics.

Jump to any of the following sections:

Foreign Languages & Linguistics Degrees Available at Georgetown

  • Bachelor’s Degree in Foreign Languages & Linguistics
  • Master’s Degree in Foreign Languages & Linguistics
  • Doctorate Degree in Foreign Languages & Linguistics

Georgetown Foreign Languages & Linguistics Rankings

In College Factual's most recent rankings for the best schools for foreign languages and linguistics majors, Georgetown came in at #9. This puts it in the top 5% of the country in this field of study. It is also ranked #1 in District of Columbia.

Ranking Type Rank
Best Foreign Languages & Linguistics Colleges for Veterans 8
Best Foreign Languages & Linguistics Colleges for Non-Traditional Students 9
Most Popular Colleges for Foreign Languages & Linguistics 43
Most Focused Colleges for Foreign Languages & Linguistics 77
Best Value Colleges for Foreign Languages & Linguistics 176

Popularity of Foreign Languages & Linguistics at Georgetown

During the 2017-2018 academic year, Georgetown University handed out 115 bachelor's degrees in foreign languages and linguistics. Due to this, the school was ranked #43 out of all colleges and universities that offer this degree. This is an increase of 7% over the previous year when 107 degrees were handed out.

In 2018, 22 students received their master’s degree in foreign languages and linguistics from Georgetown. This makes it the #46 most popular school for foreign languages and linguistics master’s degree candidates in the country.

In addition, 14 students received their doctoral degrees in foreign languages and linguistics in 2018, making the school the #30 most popular school in the United States for this category of students.

Foreign Languages & Linguistics Student Diversity at Georgetown

Take a look at the following statistics related to the make-up of the foreign languages and linguistics majors at Georgetown University.

Georgetown Foreign Languages & Linguistics Bachelor’s Program

The foreign languages and linguistics program at Georgetown awarded 115 bachelor's degrees in 2017-2018. About 26% of these degrees went to men with the other 74% going to women.

Georgetown Gender Breakdown of Foreign Languages & Linguistics Bachelor's Degree Grads

The majority of bachelor's degree recipients in this major at Georgetown are white. In the most recent graduating class for which data is available, 74% of students fell into this category.

The following table and chart show the ethnic background for students who recently graduated from Georgetown University with a bachelor's in foreign languages and linguistics.

Ethnic Diversity of Foreign Languages & Linguistics Majors at Georgetown University
Ethnic Background Number of Students
Asian 11
Black or African American 4
Hispanic or Latino 6
White 85
Non-Resident Aliens 3
Other Races 6

Georgetown Foreign Languages & Linguistics Master’s Program

For the most recent academic year available, 27% of foreign languages and linguistics master's degrees went to men and 73% went to women.

Georgetown Gender Breakdown of Foreign Languages & Linguistics Master's Degree Grads

The following table and chart show the ethnic background for students who recently graduated from Georgetown University with a master's in foreign languages and linguistics.

Ethnic Diversity of Foreign Languages & Linguistics Majors at Georgetown University
Ethnic Background Number of Students
Asian 1
Black or African American 0
Hispanic or Latino 1
White 7
Non-Resident Aliens 11
Other Races 2

Areas of Concentration for Foreign Languages & Linguistics

Foreign Languages and Linguistics students may decide to concentrate in one of the following focus areas. Individual focus areas may not be available for all degree levels.

Concentration Annual Graduates
Linguistics & Comparative Literature 52
Romance Languages 47
Classical Languages & Literature 16
Middle Eastern Semitic Languages 12
Germanic Languages 10
East Asian Languages 8
Slavic, Baltic & Albanian Languages 6

Related Major Annual Graduates
English Language & Literature 109
Liberal Arts / Sciences & Humanities 68
Philosophy & Religious Studies 58
Visual & Performing Arts 39

View All Foreign Languages & Linguistics Related Majors >

References

Featured Schools

Find Schools Near You