Find Schools

Study Area & Zipcode

Journalism at Ohio University - Main Campus

Find Schools Near

Journalism at Ohio University - Main Campus

Journalism is one of the majors in the communication & journalism program at Ohio University - Main Campus.

Here, you'll find out more about the major, including such details as the number of graduates, what degree levels are offered, ethnicity of students, average salaries, and more. Also, learn how Ohio U ranks among other schools offering degrees in journalism.

Jump to any of the following sections:

Journalism Degrees Available at Ohio U

  • Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism
  • Master’s Degree in Journalism
  • Doctorate Degree in Journalism

Ohio U Journalism Rankings

The bachelor's program at Ohio U was ranked #62 on College Factual's Best Schools for journalism list. It is also ranked #2 in Ohio.

Ranking Type Rank
Best Value Colleges for Journalism 20

Popularity of Journalism at Ohio U

During the 2017-2018 academic year, Ohio University - Main Campus handed out 251 bachelor's degrees in journalism. Due to this, the school was ranked #12 out of all colleges and universities that offer this degree. This is an increase of 18% over the previous year when 213 degrees were handed out.

In 2018, 5 students received their master’s degree in journalism from Ohio U. This makes it the #55 most popular school for journalism master’s degree candidates in the country.

In addition, 5 students received their doctoral degrees in journalism in 2018, making the school the #4 most popular school in the United States for this category of students.

How Much Do Journalism Graduates from Ohio U Make?

Salary of Journalism Graduates with a Bachelor's Degree

Journalism majors who earn their bachelor's degree from Ohio U go on to jobs where they make a median salary of $33,200 a year. This is higher than $30,000, which is the national median for all journalism bachelor's degree recipients.

undefined

How Much Student Debt Do Journalism Graduates from Ohio U Have?

Student Debt of Journalism Graduates with a Bachelor's Degree

While getting their bachelor's degree at Ohio U, journalism students borrow a median amount of $23,475 in student loans. This is not too bad considering that the median debt load of all journalism bachelor's degree recipients across the country is $23,488.

undefined

The typical student loan payment of a bachelor's degree student from the journalism program at Ohio U is $244 per month.

Ohio U Journalism Students

Take a look at the following statistics related to the make-up of the journalism majors at Ohio University - Main Campus.

Ohio U Journalism Bachelor’s Program

Of the 251 students who graduated with a Bachelor’s in journalism from Ohio U in 2018, 30% were men and 70% were women.

Ohio U Gender Breakdown of Journalism Bachelor's Degree Grads

The majority of the students with this major are white. About 82% of 2018 graduates were in this category.

The following table and chart show the ethnic background for students who recently graduated from Ohio University - Main Campus with a bachelor's in journalism.

Ethnic Diversity of Journalism Majors at Ohio University - Main Campus
Ethnic Background Number of Students
Asian 2
Black or African American 14
Hispanic or Latino 13
White 207
Non-Resident Aliens 4
Other Races 11

Ohio U Journalism Master’s Program

In the 2017-2018 academic year, 5 students earned a master's degree in journalism from Ohio U. About 80% of these graduates were women and the other 20% were men.

Ohio U Gender Breakdown of Journalism Master's Degree Grads

The following table and chart show the ethnic background for students who recently graduated from Ohio University - Main Campus with a master's in journalism.

Ethnic Diversity of Journalism Majors at Ohio University - Main Campus
Ethnic Background Number of Students
Asian 0
Black or African American 0
Hispanic or Latino 0
White 1
Non-Resident Aliens 4
Other Races 0

Areas of Concentration for Journalism

Journalism students may decide to concentrate in one of the following focus areas. Individual focus areas may not be available for all degree levels.

Concentration Annual Graduates
General Journalism 229
Photojournalism 30
Broadcast Journalism 2

Related Major Annual Graduates
Communication & Media Studies 342
Radio, Television & Digital Communication 218
Public Relations & Advertising 20

View All Journalism Related Majors >

References

Featured Schools

Find Schools Near You