English Language & Literature at The University of Texas at Austin

English Language & Literature at The University of Texas at Austin

We've pulled together some essential information you should know about the program, including how many students graduate each year, the ethnic diversity of these students, and more. In addition, we cover how UT Austin ranks in comparison to other schools with English language and literature programs.

Jump to any of the following sections:

English Language & Literature Degrees Available at UT Austin

UT Austin English Language & Literature Rankings

UT Austin is in the top 10% of the country for English language and literature. More specifically it was ranked #40 out of 745 schools by College Factual. It is also ranked #2 in Texas.

Ranking Type Rank
Best Value Doctor’s Degree Colleges for English Language & Literature 2
Most Popular Doctor’s Degree Colleges for English Language & Literature 4
Best English Language & Literature Doctor’s Degree Schools 12
Most Popular Bachelor’s Degree Colleges for English Language & Literature 13
Best English Language & Literature Bachelor’s Degree Schools 40
Best English Language & Literature Master’s Degree Schools 45
Most Focused Doctor’s Degree Colleges for English Language & Literature 53
Most Popular Master’s Degree Colleges for English Language & Literature 65
Best Value Master’s Degree Colleges for English Language & Literature 73
Best Value Bachelor’s Degree Colleges for English Language & Literature 367
Most Focused Master’s Degree Colleges for English Language & Literature 384
Most Focused Bachelor’s Degree Colleges for English Language & Literature 558

Popularity of English Language & Literature at UT Austin

During the 2019-2020 academic year, The University of Texas at Austin handed out 241 bachelor's degrees in English language and literature. Due to this, the school was ranked #15 in popularity out of all colleges and universities that offer this degree. This is a decrease of 9% over the previous year when 264 degrees were handed out.

In 2020, 38 students received their master’s degree in English language and literature from UT Austin. This makes it the #29 most popular school for English language and literature master’s degree candidates in the country.

In addition, 28 students received their doctoral degrees in English language and literature in 2020, making the school the #2 most popular school in the United States for this category of students.

UT Austin English Language & Literature Students

Take a look at the following statistics related to the make-up of the English language and literature majors at The University of Texas at Austin.

UT Austin English Language & Literature Bachelor’s Program

The English language and literature program at UT Austin awarded 241 bachelor's degrees in 2019-2020. About 30% of these degrees went to men with the other 70% going to women.

undefined

The majority of bachelor's degree recipients in this major at UT Austin are white. In the most recent graduating class for which data is available, 55% of students fell into this category.

The following table and chart show the ethnic background for students who recently graduated from The University of Texas at Austin with a bachelor's in English language and literature.

undefined
Ethnic Background Number of Students
Asian 20
Black or African American 6
Hispanic or Latino 72
White 132
Non-Resident Aliens 4
Other Races 7

UT Austin English Language & Literature Master’s Program

Of the 25 English language and literature students who graduated with a master's degree in 2019-2020 from UT Austin, about 32% were men and 68% were women.

undefined

The majority of the students with this major are white. About 72% of 2020 graduates were in this category.

The following table and chart show the ethnic background for students who recently graduated from The University of Texas at Austin with a master's in English language and literature.

undefined
Ethnic Background Number of Students
Asian 0
Black or African American 0
Hispanic or Latino 2
White 18
Non-Resident Aliens 0
Other Races 5

English Language & Literature Majors

English Language and Literature students may decide to major in one of the following focus areas. Individual majors may not be available for all degree levels.

Major Annual Graduates
General English Literature 211
Writing Studies 77

Majors Similar to English Language & Literature

Related Major Annual Graduates
Visual & Performing Arts 469
Liberal Arts / Sciences & Humanities 265
Foreign Languages & Linguistics 223
Philosophy & Religious Studies 72

View All English Language & Literature Related Majors >

References

More about our data sources and methodologies.

Find Schools Near You