Find Schools

Study Area & Zipcode

Sociology at University of California - Los Angeles

Find Schools Near

Sociology at University of California - Los Angeles

The Sociology major is part of the social sciences program at University of California - Los Angeles.

Here, you'll find out more about the major, including such details as the number of graduates, what degree levels are offered, ethnicity of students, average salaries, and more. We've also included details on how UCLA ranks compared to other colleges offering a major in sociology.

Go directly to any of the following sections:

Sociology Degrees Available at UCLA

  • Bachelor’s Degree in Sociology
  • Master’s Degree in Sociology
  • Doctorate Degree in Sociology

UCLA Sociology Rankings

Ranked at #3 in College Factual's most recent rankings, UCLA is in the top 1% of the country for sociology students pursuing a bachelor's degree. It is also ranked #2 in California.

Ranking Type Rank
Best Sociology Colleges for Non-Traditional Students 2
Best Sociology Colleges for Veterans 7
Highest Paid Sociology Graduates 10
Best Value Colleges for Sociology 125

Popularity of Sociology at UCLA

During the 2017-2018 academic year, University of California - Los Angeles handed out 619 bachelor's degrees in sociology. Due to this, the school was ranked #2 out of all colleges and universities that offer this degree. This is an increase of 10% over the previous year when 564 degrees were handed out.

In 2018, 14 students received their master’s degree in sociology from UCLA. This makes it the #13 most popular school for sociology master’s degree candidates in the country.

In addition, 19 students received their doctoral degrees in sociology in 2018, making the school the #1 most popular school in the United States for this category of students.

How Much Do Sociology Graduates from UCLA Make?

Salary of Sociology Graduates with a Bachelor's Degree

The median salary of sociology students who receive their bachelor's degree at UCLA is $33,000. This is great news for graduates of the program, since this figure is higher than the national average of $29,700 for all sociology bachelor's degree recipients.

undefined

How Much Student Debt Do Sociology Graduates from UCLA Have?

Student Debt of Sociology Graduates with a Bachelor's Degree

While getting their bachelor's degree at UCLA, sociology students borrow a median amount of $15,000 in student loans. This is not too bad considering that the median debt load of all sociology bachelor's degree recipients across the country is $24,466.

undefined

The typical student loan payment of a bachelor's degree student from the sociology program at UCLA is $156 per month.

Sociology Student Diversity at UCLA

Take a look at the following statistics related to the make-up of the sociology majors at University of California - Los Angeles.

UCLA Sociology Bachelor’s Program

Of the 619 students who graduated with a Bachelor’s in sociology from UCLA in 2018, 28% were men and 72% were women.

UCLA Gender Breakdown of Sociology Bachelor's Degree Grads

The following table and chart show the ethnic background for students who recently graduated from University of California - Los Angeles with a bachelor's in sociology.

Ethnic Diversity of Sociology Majors at University of California - Los Angeles
Ethnic Background Number of Students
Asian 108
Black or African American 32
Hispanic or Latino 222
White 160
Non-Resident Aliens 55
Other Races 42

UCLA Sociology Master’s Program

In the 2017-2018 academic year, 14 students earned a master's degree in sociology from UCLA. About 43% of these graduates were women and the other 57% were men.

UCLA Gender Breakdown of Sociology Master's Degree Grads

The following table and chart show the ethnic background for students who recently graduated from University of California - Los Angeles with a master's in sociology.

Ethnic Diversity of Sociology Majors at University of California - Los Angeles
Ethnic Background Number of Students
Asian 1
Black or African American 1
Hispanic or Latino 2
White 6
Non-Resident Aliens 3
Other Races 1

Areas of Concentration for Sociology

Sociology students may decide to concentrate in one of the following focus areas. Individual focus areas may not be available for all degree levels.

Concentration Annual Graduates
Sociology 652

Majors Similar to Sociology

Related Major Annual Graduates
Economics 799
Political Science & Government 650
Anthropology 261
Geography & Cartography 180
Other Social Sciences 17

View All Sociology Related Majors >

References

Featured Schools

Find Schools Near You