Find Schools

Study Area & Zipcode

Computer Science at Massachusetts Institute of Technology

Find Schools Near

Computer Science at Massachusetts Institute of Technology

The Computer Science major is part of the computer & information sciences program at Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

We've gathered data and other essential information about the program, such as the average salary of graduates, ethnicity of students, how many students graduated in recent times, and more. We've also included details on how MIT ranks compared to other colleges offering a major in compsci.

Jump to any of the following sections:

Featured Computer Science Programs

Learn about start dates, transferring credits, availability of financial aid, and more by contacting the universities below.

ADVERTISEMENT

Computer Science Degrees Available at MIT

MIT CompSci Rankings

Ranked at #2 in College Factual's most recent rankings, MIT is in the top 1% of the country for compsci students pursuing a bachelor's degree. It is also ranked #1 in Massachusetts.

Ranking Type Rank
Best Computer Science Bachelor’s Degree Schools 1
Best Computer Science Master’s Degree Schools 2
2
Best Value Master’s Degree Colleges for Computer Science (Income $48-$75k) 2
Best Value Doctor’s Degree Colleges for Computer Science (Income $30-$48k) 2
Best Value Master’s Degree Colleges for Computer Science (Income $75-$110k) 2
Best Value Bachelor’s Degree Colleges for Computer Science (Income $75-$110k) 2
Best Computer Science Doctor’s Degree Schools 2
Best Value Doctor’s Degree Colleges for Computer Science (Income $75-$110k) 2
Best Value Doctor’s Degree Colleges for Computer Science (With Aid) 3
Best Value Master’s Degree Colleges for Computer Science (Income $30-$48k) 3
Best Value Bachelor’s Degree Colleges for Computer Science (Income $30-$48k) 3
Best Value Doctor’s Degree Colleges for Computer Science (Income $48-$75k) 3
Best Value Doctor’s Degree Colleges for Computer Science (Income $0-$30k) 4
Best Value Master’s Degree Colleges for Computer Science (With Aid) 4
Best Value Bachelor’s Degree Colleges for Computer Science (Income $0-$30k) 4
Best Value Bachelor’s Degree Colleges for Computer Science (Income $48-$75k) 4
Best Value Master’s Degree Colleges for Computer Science (Income $0-$30k) 4
4
Best Value Bachelor’s Degree Colleges for Computer Science (With Aid) 5
Highest Paid Doctor’s Degree Computer Science Graduates 7
Highest Paid Master’s Degree Computer Science Graduates 8
11
Highest Paid Bachelor’s Degree Computer Science Graduates 11
11
13
16
Best Value Doctor’s Degree Colleges for Computer Science (Income Over $110k) 23
Best Value Master’s Degree Colleges for Computer Science (Income Over $110k) 32
Best Value Bachelor’s Degree Colleges for Computer Science (Income Over $110k) 52
Best Value Doctor’s Degree Colleges for Computer Science 84
Best Value Master’s Degree Colleges for Computer Science 187
Best Value Bachelor’s Degree Colleges for Computer Science 295

Popularity of CompSci at MIT

During the 2020-2021 academic year, Massachusetts Institute of Technology handed out 393 bachelor's degrees in computer science. Due to this, the school was ranked #13 in popularity out of all colleges and universities that offer this degree. This is a decrease of 7% over the previous year when 424 degrees were handed out.

In 2021, 250 students received their master’s degree in compsci from MIT. This makes it the #13 most popular school for compsci master’s degree candidates in the country.

In addition, 49 students received their doctoral degrees in compsci in 2021, making the school the #4 most popular school in the United States for this category of students.

How Much Do CompSci Graduates from MIT Make?

Salary of CompSci Graduates with a Bachelor's Degree

CompSci majors who earn their bachelor's degree from MIT go on to jobs where they make a median salary of $118,191 a year. This is great news for graduates of the program, since this figure is higher than the national average of $63,247 for all compsci bachelor's degree recipients.

undefined

How Much Student Debt Do CompSci Graduates from MIT Have?

Student Debt of CompSci Graduates with a Bachelor's Degree

While getting their bachelor's degree at MIT, compsci students borrow a median amount of $10,538 in student loans. This is not too bad considering that the median debt load of all compsci bachelor's degree recipients across the country is $24,625.

undefined

The typical student loan payment of a bachelor's degree student from the compsci program at MIT is $682 per month.

Related Programs

Learn about other programs related to Computer Science that might interest you.

ADVERTISEMENT

MIT CompSci Students

Take a look at the following statistics related to the make-up of the compsci majors at Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

MIT Computer Science Bachelor’s Program

In the 2020-2021 academic year, 393 students earned a bachelor's degree in compsci from MIT. About 37% of these graduates were women and the other 63% were men.

undefined

The following table and chart show the ethnic background for students who recently graduated from Massachusetts Institute of Technology with a bachelor's in compsci.

undefined
Ethnic Background Number of Students
Asian 150
Black or African American 21
Hispanic or Latino 44
White 90
Non-Resident Aliens 60
Other Races 28

MIT Computer Science Master’s Program

In the 2020-2021 academic year, 250 students earned a master's degree in compsci from MIT. About 40% of these graduates were women and the other 60% were men.

undefined

The following table and chart show the ethnic background for students who recently graduated from Massachusetts Institute of Technology with a master's in compsci.

undefined
Ethnic Background Number of Students
Asian 84
Black or African American 7
Hispanic or Latino 14
White 64
Non-Resident Aliens 64
Other Races 17

Related Major Annual Graduates
Computer Information Systems 25

View All Computer Science Related Majors >

References

More about our data sources and methodologies.

Featured Schools

Find Schools Near You