Find Schools

Study Area & Zipcode

Area Studies at Northwestern University

Find Schools Near

Area Studies at Northwestern University

Area Studies is one of the majors in the area, ethnic, culture, & gender studies program at Northwestern University.

Here, you'll find out more about the major, including such details as the number of graduates, what degree levels are offered, ethnicity of students, and more. In addition, we cover how Northwestern U ranks in comparison to other schools with area studies programs.

Go directly to any of the following sections:

Area Studies Degrees Available at Northwestern U

  • Bachelor’s Degree in Area Studies
  • Master’s Degree in Area Studies

Northwestern U Area Studies Rankings

The bachelor's program at Northwestern U was ranked #53 on College Factual's Best Schools for area studies list. It is also ranked #2 in Illinois.

Ranking Type Rank
Best Area Studies Colleges for Veterans 129
Best Value Colleges for Area Studies 149

Popularity of Area Studies at Northwestern U

During the 2017-2018 academic year, Northwestern University handed out 14 bachelor's degrees in area studies. Due to this, the school was ranked #84 out of all colleges and universities that offer this degree. This is a decrease of 18% over the previous year when 17 degrees were handed out.

In 2018, 1 students received their master’s degree in area studies from Northwestern U. This makes it the #94 most popular school for area studies master’s degree candidates in the country.

Area Studies Student Diversity at Northwestern U

Take a look at the following statistics related to the make-up of the area studies majors at Northwestern University.

Northwestern U Area Studies Bachelor’s Program

In the 2017-2018 academic year, 14 students earned a bachelor's degree in area studies from Northwestern U. About 64% of these graduates were women and the other 36% were men.

Northwestern U Gender Breakdown of Area Studies Bachelor's Degree Grads

The majority of bachelor's degree recipients in this major at Northwestern U are white. In the most recent graduating class for which data is available, 86% of students fell into this category.

The following table and chart show the ethnic background for students who recently graduated from Northwestern University with a bachelor's in area studies.

Ethnic Diversity of Area Studies Majors at Northwestern University
Ethnic Background Number of Students
Asian 0
Black or African American 0
Hispanic or Latino 2
White 12
Non-Resident Aliens 0
Other Races 0

Northwestern U Area Studies Master’s Program

All of the 1 students who graduated with a Master’s in area studies from Northwestern U in 2018 were men.

Northwestern U Gender Breakdown of Area Studies Master's Degree Grads

The majority of master's degree recipients in this major at Northwestern U are white. In the most recent graduating class for which data is available, 100% of students fell into this category.

The following table and chart show the ethnic background for students who recently graduated from Northwestern University with a master's in area studies.

Ethnic Diversity of Area Studies Majors at Northwestern University
Ethnic Background Number of Students
Asian 0
Black or African American 0
Hispanic or Latino 0
White 1
Non-Resident Aliens 0
Other Races 0

Areas of Concentration for Area Studies

Area Studies students may decide to concentrate in one of the following focus areas. Individual focus areas may not be available for all degree levels.

Concentration Annual Graduates
Near & Middle Eastern Studies 7
American U.S. Studies 3
Asian Studies 3
African Studies 2

Related Major Annual Graduates
Ethnic Studies 32

View All Area Studies Related Majors >

References

Find Schools Near You