Find Schools

Study Area & Zipcode

Engineering at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

Find Schools Near

Engineering at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

We've pulled together some essential information you should know about the program, including how many students graduate each year, the ethnic diversity of these students, and more. In addition, we cover how RPI ranks in comparison to other schools with engineering programs.

Go directly to any of the following sections:

Engineering Degrees Available at RPI

  • Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering
  • Master’s Degree in Engineering
  • Doctorate Degree in Engineering

RPI Engineering Rankings

In College Factual's most recent rankings for the best schools for engineering majors, RPI came in at #6. This puts it in the top 5% of the country in this field of study. It is also ranked #1 in New York.

Ranking Type Rank
Best Colleges for Engineering 6
Best Engineering Colleges for Veterans 8
Most Focused Colleges for Engineering 19
Most Popular Colleges for Engineering 33
Highest Paid Engineering Graduates 44
Best Value Colleges for Engineering 99

Popularity of Engineering at RPI

During the 2017-2018 academic year, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute handed out 744 bachelor's degrees in engineering. Due to this, the school was ranked #33 out of all colleges and universities that offer this degree. This is a decrease of 7% over the previous year when 800 degrees were handed out.

In 2018, 124 students received their master’s degree in engineering from RPI. This makes it the #120 most popular school for engineering master’s degree candidates in the country.

In addition, 88 students received their doctoral degrees in engineering in 2018, making the school the #32 most popular school in the United States for this category of students.

RPI Engineering Students

Take a look at the following statistics related to the make-up of the engineering majors at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.

RPI Engineering Bachelor’s Program

Of the 744 engineering students who graduated with a bachelor's degree in 2017-2018 from RPI, about 67% were men and 33% were women.

RPI Gender Breakdown of Engineering Bachelor's Degree Grads

The majority of bachelor's degree recipients in this major at RPI are white. In the most recent graduating class for which data is available, 62% of students fell into this category.

The following table and chart show the ethnic background for students who recently graduated from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute with a bachelor's in engineering.

Ethnic Diversity of Engineering Majors at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
Ethnic Background Number of Students
Asian 55
Black or African American 24
Hispanic or Latino 48
White 458
Non-Resident Aliens 84
Other Races 75

RPI Engineering Master’s Program

In the 2017-2018 academic year, 124 students earned a master's degree in engineering from RPI. About 36% of these graduates were women and the other 64% were men.

RPI Gender Breakdown of Engineering Master's Degree Grads

The majority of master's degree recipients in this major at RPI are white. In the most recent graduating class for which data is available, 62% of students fell into this category.

The following table and chart show the ethnic background for students who recently graduated from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute with a master's in engineering.

Ethnic Diversity of Engineering Majors at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
Ethnic Background Number of Students
Asian 5
Black or African American 3
Hispanic or Latino 11
White 77
Non-Resident Aliens 23
Other Races 5

Areas of Concentration for Engineering

Engineering students may decide to concentrate in one of the following focus areas. Individual focus areas may not be available for all degree levels.

Concentration Annual Graduates
Mechanical Engineering 244
Electrical Engineering 131
Biomedical Engineering 129
Chemical Engineering 128
Aerospace & Aeronautical Engineering 106
Civil Engineering 60
Industrial Engineering 54
Materials Engineering 46
Nuclear Engineering 26
Environmental Engineering 24
Systems Engineering 8

Related Major Annual Graduates
Computer & Information Sciences 312
Mathematics & Statistics 126
Physical Sciences 76
Engineering Technologies 75
Architecture & Related Services 74

View All Engineering Related Majors >

References

Featured Schools

Find Schools Near You