Music at University of Houston

Music at University of Houston

The Music major is part of the visual & performing arts program at University of Houston.

Here, you'll find out more about the major, including such details as the number of graduates, what degree levels are offered, ethnicity of students, average salaries, and more. Also, learn how UH ranks among other schools offering degrees in music.

Jump to any of the following sections:

Music Degrees Available at UH

UH Music Rankings

UH was ranked #75 on College Factual's most recent list of the best schools for music majors. This puts the bachelor's program at the school solidly in the top 15% of all colleges and universities in the country. It is also ranked #4 in Texas.

Ranking Type Rank
Best Value Doctor’s Degree Colleges for Music 8
Best Value Bachelor’s Degree Colleges for Music 30
Most Popular Bachelor’s Degree Colleges for Music 32
Best Music Bachelor’s Degree Schools 42
Best Music Doctor’s Degree Schools 46
Most Popular Master’s Degree Colleges for Music 55
Most Popular Doctor’s Degree Colleges for Music 62
Best Value Master’s Degree Colleges for Music 64
Most Focused Doctor’s Degree Colleges for Music 77
Best Music Master’s Degree Schools 114
Most Focused Master’s Degree Colleges for Music 152
Most Focused Bachelor’s Degree Colleges for Music 520

Popularity of Music at UH

During the 2019-2020 academic year, University of Houston handed out 66 bachelor's degrees in music. Due to this, the school was ranked #46 in popularity out of all colleges and universities that offer this degree. This is an increase of 2% over the previous year when 65 degrees were handed out.

In 2020, 29 students received their master’s degree in music from UH. This makes it the #53 most popular school for music master’s degree candidates in the country.

In addition, 11 students received their doctoral degrees in music in 2020, making the school the #43 most popular school in the United States for this category of students.

How Much Do Music Graduates from UH Make?

Salary of Music Graduates with a Bachelor's Degree

Music majors who earn their bachelor's degree from UH go on to jobs where they make a median salary of $49,200 a year. This is great news for graduates of the program, since this figure is higher than the national average of $22,900 for all music bachelor's degree recipients.

undefined

Salary of Music Graduates with a Master's Degree

Music majors graduating with a master's degree from UH make a median salary of $35,400 a year. This is a better than average outcome since the median salary for all music graduates with a master's is $24,400.

undefined

How Much Student Debt Do Music Graduates from UH Have?

Student Debt of Music Graduates with a Bachelor's Degree

While getting their bachelor's degree at UH, music students borrow a median amount of $27,000 in student loans. This is higher than the the typical median of $25,500 for all music majors across the country.

undefined

The typical student loan payment of a bachelor's degree student from the music program at UH is $280 per month.

Student Debt of Music Graduates with a Master's Degree

At UH, a typical music student working on their master's degree borrrows about $21,060 in student loans. This means that these borrowers may have an easier time paying back their loans thatn the typical music graduate who borrows a median amount of $38,250.

undefined

Those master's students from UH on a 10-year student debt repayment plan end up paying a median amount of $245 per month.

UH Music Students

Take a look at the following statistics related to the make-up of the music majors at University of Houston.

UH Music Bachelor’s Program

During the 2019-2020 academic year, 66 students graduated with a bachelor's degree in music from UH. About 53% were men and 47% were women.

undefined

The following table and chart show the ethnic background for students who recently graduated from University of Houston with a bachelor's in music.

undefined
Ethnic Background Number of Students
Asian 4
Black or African American 2
Hispanic or Latino 18
White 28
Non-Resident Aliens 2
Other Races 12

UH Music Master’s Program

In the 2019-2020 academic year, 29 students earned a master's degree in music from UH. About 55% of these graduates were women and the other 45% were men.

undefined

The following table and chart show the ethnic background for students who recently graduated from University of Houston with a master's in music.

undefined
Ethnic Background Number of Students
Asian 4
Black or African American 2
Hispanic or Latino 2
White 13
Non-Resident Aliens 7
Other Races 1

Majors Similar to Music

Related Major Annual Graduates
Fine & Studio Arts 114
Drama & Theater Arts 53
Design & Applied Arts 37
Dance 18
Arts & Media Management 11

View All Music Related Majors >

References

More about our data sources and methodologies.

Find Schools Near You